Sunday, February 19, 2012

Shock.

It's 11:19pm, EST. I just found out about this. I feel as if I might throw up. Have you ever been so shocked by something that throwing up was the only reaction you felt appropriate?

Nerdfighteria is my safe place. One of my very few safe places. I learned about it from him. I feel like my safe place might have just been ripped away. This is not because of what happened, but because of how quickly people are judging this shit by face value. They're not looking at Mike, the Mike they know, and saying “would he do something atrocious? Nah.”

Mike, if you ever read this, I count you as a friend. I'm planning to call you tomorrow to ask you personally about this. FYI.
We even discussed how fifteen year old's look nothing now like they used to. We joked about it.

I appreciate how much you've made me think since I met you. It's because of you that I've been exploring our world through science so much more than I ever did before. I've also truly been trying to figure out why I believe what I believe, because of you. I don't want it to be just my parent's religion like so many other people, and I've discovered that what I believe varies from what they believe more than I thought possible. The same basics, but some important details in theirs is missing in mine. Things I don't believe God would force on us.

I respect you, Mike.  That's the gist of that.  You make me think by using your intelligent thoughts.  You may have messed up according to the law, but sometimes the law is incredibly stupid (ie, Matt's Safe School Law and many others).

Oh, you just texted me. I DM'd you wanting to know; should've known you wouldn't be asleep. It's only 11:45pm now. All I can say to you is that you have a friend here. And please do nothing rash.

In this portion of my blog, I want to speak with you all about the age of consent. It's in place for a reason, I'm sure, but when is the government going to realize that people are going to do what they want to do no matter what the law is or how old they are? All of this happened over the internet and cell phones. There was nothing forced. How could it have been? Forcing yourself on someone is one thing; I believe that there is definite need for punishment in that matter, but willingly giving something? Not the same thing. You're probably saying “they're young. Impressionable. They were excited at being shown attention.” There were three girls involved, one 15 and two 17. Mike is 23. My parents are 9 ½ years apart. The age difference between my parents is greater than any of these. My parents were over the age of consent when they met, married, and proceeded to build themselves a large family, but what if Mom had been under? What if they had met when she was 15 and he was 24? What if they fell in love, decided to sex it up, and then Mom decided that she was through with him and the easiest way would be to go to the cops?
I wouldn't be here. Dad would have gone to jail and been scarred with the “pedophile” tag. I'm sure Mom wouldn't have married him then, especially if she was the one who marked him. Think about it.

I'm looking at Tumblr right now, and I see so many posts that say things like "this isn't the girl's fault in any way.  Mike was the adult in these situations".  It's true, he was the adult in everything that happened.  But why do we never place any of the blame on those who we deem the "victims"?  Why are they the victims?  We all make choices people.  Mike's was to ignore the age of consent, and theirs was to go along with it.  I say equal guilt for equal crimes.
But even if all of this is truly truly true...is anyone guilty of anything?  I feel like society paints it for us that it's just so wrong for girls to send pictures of themselves if they want to.  Their body, their life.  I'm 20, and if it were me there wouldn't be a public out cry.  Why not?  Because over the age of 18 we aren't easily bruised and broken flowers anymore?  If we're like that at any time in our lives, it's that way for life.  But most of us aren't, it's just the picture painted of females.  And I hate that.

There are also a lot of people deleting his music and crap because of this.  He hasn't been proven guilty yet, and even if he is and I totally lose my faith in him and all of that...why delete his music?  It's good music.  It's music that touched my heart.  This music is music of substance.  It may hurt for some people to hear his voice because they have cast him as guilty in their minds, but good music is good music y'all. 

That puking thing I mentioned earlier? Just happened. I feel a bit better, but it may continue on into the night.

I need to sleep on this now. Goodnight. Maybe I'll have more thoughts in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment