Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's All About the Pity Candy

Single’s Awareness Day


To clarify, Wikipedia tells me that Single's Awareness Day can be celebrated the day before, of, or after Valentine's Day. This blog post is happening the day after. Therefore, I am celebrating on the 15th this year. I suppose.


Now back to your previously scheduled blog post.


SAD. Look at the words above. They acronym down to SAD. I am single on this day, but I am not sad. I am aware of my singleness, so that makes me SAD, but not sad. You should never be sad about a choice that you made whilst in a sane mind.
Yes. Whilst. Actually, “whilst” was a personal goal of mine for this blog post. Goal fulfilled.


Such is the beauty of a blog post.


Why am I SAD today? Or rather, why am I acknowledging my SADness? I wouldn't have if not for last night. But I'm going to back up. Before the night of the 14th, there was the night of the 13th. On the night of the 13th I had a dream. I had a dream that each and every one of my ex boyfriends (cuz there are sooo many. Right.) died. I was really only sad about the most recent since he and I are still tight. Anyway, I texted the most recent when I woke up and told him that I was sorry that he died in my incredibly odd/sad dream. Not remembering the reason behind his death, I said that it was probably to save the masses. That would be best, right?


So that is the first reason that I am truly SAD on this day. I acknowledged my single status by contacting my ex. There was a valid reason, but still.


The second reason is the pity that I was shown last night by a group of 5-8 year old children. On Tuesday nights I help out with a kid's group at the base chapel. Last Tuesday (7 Feb) there were fliers passed out about the Valentine's theme for this week. After I passed out the fliers, the adorable bunch of misfits gathered around me asking, “What are you and your boyfriend doing for Valentine's Day, Miss Molly?” I told them that I'm single. Boys have cooties, and I don't want cooties! EWWWWWW.
Apparently they saw through my “cooties” speech, because last night more than half of them brought me chocolate or candy. They all said things like, “Well, since you don't have a boyfriend to buy you candy I figured you needed to get it from somewhere”.


These children are way too adorable for their own good.
My favorite were the chocolates with the nutella inside. Who knew such a thing existed in all of creation? CHOCOLATE. With NUTELLA inside. It's almost too much good in one place.


But the point of this is that THEY PITIED ME. A group of insane, bouncy, brooding, dramatic, 5-8 year old’s took pity on me. By bringing me sugar in multiple forms. This made me very aware of my singleness.


Also, the boy that I decided not too awful long ago that I might possibly like had a Valentine today. He made her a rose. Made, not gave. Well, gave too I suppose. But yeah.


All three of these things combined made me way more aware that I'm single then I have been in a long time.


I don't need your pity candy.




Number of Chipotle burritos this year: 10/52

No comments:

Post a Comment